Rolling Stock

<!-- [if gte mso 9]> 800x600 <!-- [if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <!-- [if gte mso 9]> <!-- [if gte mso 10]>

Header

  Along the freight house loading dock, visitors can enter a New York Central EMD E8 diesel-electric locomotive, No. 4085.  This was an express passenger locomotive; built in August of 1953, it is one of seven such New York Central locomotives that survive today (out of sixty such locomotives built for the company).  It is currently painted in the New York Central's famous "Lightning Stripe" livery.  It passed through the hands of Penn Central and was acquired for commuter train service by New Jersey Transit in the 1970s.  It was purchased for the Museum in 1987.

 

Once outside, visitors can view the largest and latest surviving piece of New York Central steam locomotive technology, a dual-service (passenger & freight) 4-8-2 L-3a Mohawk, No. 3001.  3001 was built by the American Locomotive Company of Schenectady, N.Y. in 1940 and delivered to the New York Central for its first assignment in Elkhart that October.  After retirement in 1957, 3001 was on display in a city park in Dallas, Tx., before its acquisition by the Lakeshore Historical Foundation and return to Elkhart in 1984.

 

Also on display is a GG1 electric locomotive from the Pennsylvania Railroad, No. 4882, built for operations from Washington, D.C. to New York in February 1939.  It passed to Penn Central in 1968 in the merger with the New York Central, then to New Jersey Transit in the 1970s.  It became the last GG1 locomotive to run under its own power on October 29, 1983, and was purchased from New Jersey Transit in 1987.  Today, it is the only one of the sixteen surviving GG1 locomotives to wear the black Penn Central livery. 

There are also numerous other examples of rolling stock:

-New York Central L-3b 3042's tender, used as an auxiliary water tender on the American Freedom Train and the Chessie Steam Special.

-New York Central 250-ton capacity crane X-13, built in 1946 by the Industrial Brownhoist Company.  X-13 was based in Selkirk, N.Y. and donated by Conrail in 1997.

-New York Central 150-ton capacity crane X-28, built in the 1920s and based at the NYC's large Harmon Yard in Croton-on-Hudson, N.Y.

-New York Central bay-window caboose 21084, built in 1963.

-New York Central Standard Caboose 19211, a wooden caboose built around 1910.

-New York Central transfer caboose 18136, a very simple caboose rebuilt in 1967 from a 1949 box car.

-New York Central 3-bay covered hopper car.  The original number is not presently known and is currently assigned the number NNYX 902.

-New York Central tank car 16039, built in December 1952.  It was donated by Sturgis Metal & Iron in 2006.

-New York Central RPO-baggage car 5104, nee-Michigan Central 1016, built in 1914 by the Standard Steel Car Company.  It was converted for work train service in the 1950s.

-New York Central idler car 504472 for crane X-13, based in Selkirk, N.Y. and donated by Conrail in 1997.

-New York Central boom car of unknown background, assigned the Conrail number 45507 and donated in 1997.

-Indiana Harbor Belt caboose 75, built for the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.

-Baltimore & Ohio box cars 288121 & 288257, 50-foot AAR two-door box cars built in 1957. 

-Chicago, South Shore & South Bend electric commuter car 15, built by Pullman-Standard in 1926.  It was the first of the South Shore's cars to be lengthened to 78-feet by adding a new section in the middle. 

-Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific observation car 454 Minnesota, built in 1937 by the Budd Company.

-Conrail bay-window caboose N21A 21230, built in July 1978 by Fruit Growers Express.  21230 is the only survivor of the three units built.  It ended its days as part of the wreck train in Selkirk, N.Y. and was donated by Conrail in 1997.

-Two Illinois Central coaches, 2691 and 2694, built in 1914 by the Standard Steel Car Company.  2694 was modernized in the 1940s to match the appearance of the new streamlined cars.  2691 functions as the exhibit car, while 2694 holds the Museum's archives.

-Merchants Despatch flat cars 725220 and 725023, donated by Norfolk Southern in 2007.

-Milwaukee Road refrigerator cars 38662 & 38794, built in the 1940s.

-Minneapolis, Northfield & Southern wooden caboose 010.

-New York, New Haven & Hartford grill-dining car 953, built by Pullman-Standard in June 1949.  It was a less-formal alternative to the full dining cars and twin-unit diners that many railroads owned.  It passed to Penn Central and Conrail, serving as part of the wreck train in Selkirk, N.Y. and donated by Conrail in 1997.

-Pennsylvania Railroad RPO-baggage car (CR number 45710), possibly a BM70K, used as part of the Selkirk, N.Y. wreck train and donated by Conrail in 1997.

-Pennsylvania Railroad X26 box car 499656, a wooden car with steel reinforced sides. 

-Pennsylvania Railroad X26 box car with cut-down sides (after fire damage) to function as the idler car for NYC crane X-28.

 

Contact Us

Robin Hume,
NYCRR Museum Coordinator

721 S Main St
Elkhart, IN 46516
Get Directions
  • Phone:  (574) 294-3001
  • Staff Directory
  • Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 10am to 4pm
    Sundays, Noon - 4pm
    Mondays and Major Holidays - CLOSED

NYCRR Museum

Department HomeDepartment Home

Stay up-to-date with an RSS feed of all documents and services added to this page.

What Is This?