Grounds

  Header

  The National New York Central Railroad Museum is located in the New York Central's freight house complex in Elkhart, Ind.  The earliest surviving portion of the complex was built in 1885.  This section houses the Museum's model railroad layout and temporarily hosted the children's plays while the city's Lerner Theatre was undergoing renovation.  The next section of the freight house was added to the first in 1906, which now contains the Museum's main exhibit area.  The last portion, now used as Museum offices, was added as a distribution center for Miles Laboratories in 1920. 

 

The Museum also owns the New York Central's passenger depot in Elkhart, built by the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway in 1900, the city's third depot.  While not presently used for Museum exhibits, it still functions as a railroad station.  It now hosts four Amtrak trains a day, two westbound in the morning and two eastbound in the evening. 

 

The Museum's property includes the grounds of the two roundhouses on the south side of the tracks, approximately 1,500 feet west of the Museum itself.  This site is presently undeveloped.

Contact Us

Robin Hume,
NYCRR Museum Coordinator

721 S Main St Br
Elkhart, IN 46516
Get Directions
  • Phone:  (574) 294-3001
  • Staff Directory
  • Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 10am to 4pm
    Sundays, Noon - 4pm
    Mondays and Major Holidays - CLOSED

NYCRR Museum

Department HomeDepartment Home

Stay up-to-date with an RSS feed of all documents and services added to this page.

What Is This?