Wastewater

The Elkhart Wastewater Treatment Plant is located at 1201 South Nappanee Street in Elkhart, Indiana and discharges effluent to the St. Joseph River under the authority of the Indiana Department of Environmental Management through the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) with permit #IN0025674.
 
The facility utilizes the conventional activated sludge process and is designed to treat an average daily flow of 20 MGD with a peak flow capacity of 40 MGD. Preliminary treatment includes automatic bar screens and cyclone grit removal, primary treatment includes eight rectangular clarifiers, and secondary treatment includes five aeration tanks, utilizing a biological nutrient removal process for ammonia and phosphorus. Effluent from the facility is disinfected year round with ultraviolet light.  
 
Learn more about the wastewater treatment process - Wastewater 101
 
Sludge produced as a part of treating the wastewater is processed utilizing anaerobic treatment,  to reduce solids and achieve pathogen reduction. Class A biosolids are dewatered using two-meter belt filter presses and are either given away under an IDEM issued Marketing & Distribution permit, INLA 000680, or processed at a composting facility on County Road 26.
 
WWTP